Saturday, October 31, 2009

En Garde

One of the things I've been wary about are the words I say when I'm pissed. And sad to say, I have my fair share of hurtful words utttered in moments of blur and haziness.

Words have their way of hurting more than physical abuse can. Their effect resound even after bruises have already healed.

And these verses say it all.

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity. Proverbs 21:23

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. -Ecclesiastes 5:2

For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. - Matthew 12:34b

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23

How easy it is to say that you'll always be on guard for these things.

And yet when our guard is down and we say hurtful words, things happen and sometimes it's too late to go back.

1 comment:

dreamwalker said...

See my post about the nails in the fence. :)