Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Kite Runner

"For you, a thousand times over."

Whether for emphasis or sheer forgetfulness or maybe stubbornness, I tend to repeat things I’ve said and done.

But what if you can help it? Would you still do it a thousand times over?

My brother asked me what that line from Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner meant? He read the book and watched the movie. I haven’t done either until that time.

I got a copy of the movie from Helen before she left for school in the Lion City. But I didn’t get to see the movie until this year. I should’ve watched it way before.

I gave my brother a piece of my mind on what that line meant to me.

Amir and Hassan are best of friends who love to have “kite fights”. In one scene, Amir tells Hassan to go run the kite, to which Hassan shouts back "For you, a thousand times over".

The line speaks volumes of the relationship between these two friends.

And for me, it has taken a new meaning. Kudos to all the kite runners of this world who can say.....

"For you, a thousand times over." And expect nothing in return.

5 comments:

graciecrazie said...

nikki, i like this movie, i connect it to munir of course coz his favorite nephew is named hassan, and my favorite pamangkin is amir! i watched this film sa plane, pauwi ng pinas, huhuhu... nakakainis kse wala si munir. eto dapat pinanood namin in berlin but i was thinking baka pangit.. turned out maganda pala.

giting said...

Amir and Hassan of Balanga and Aceh, respectively. Nice twist to the story Gracie.

Sana mag-meet si Amir and Hassan.

Helen Sophia Chua Balderama said...

a painful movie. i was told even that the book is more heartbreaking. though i guess there are many more of these for real. amir and hassan turned out to be half brothers...

shing said...

I love this book, Nik. We can only hope to have someone who will say those words to us...a thousand times over...

giting said...

Hmmm… Somebody did tell us that but I just keep on forgetting….:-(