Saturday, October 17, 2009

Our Folks

When I was younger, I thought my parents were invincible and will live forever. When I was 8 or 9, my Mom told me she will not stay young and she’ll eventually die. And my young mind couldn’t comprehend that at that time, I remembered crying really hard upon hearing that. I guess any eight-year old won't be able to grasp the issue of mortality. Maybe I was thinking then, who’s gonna feed me? I only felt better when my mom told me, it’s not anytime soon and still far into the future.



orchid in my mom's garden

Recently, something hit me, our parents aren’t getting any younger. My mom just had her annual check-up and the doctor prescribed all sorts of maintenance meds. On the average, my generation’s parents have lived three scores. They’ve had their share of life’s rich experiences and have battle scars to prove it. At this time, I’m wondering what’s running through their minds when they look at our generation.

Just a random thought…..

4 comments:

Helen Sophia Chua Balderama said...

this orchid reminds me so much of my vietnamese family's orchids - such vibrant purple!

giting said...

Hey, malapit na..... Excited na ako.

And enjoy ur time with Charles and Tita.

shing said...

I've had the same thoughts when I was a kid, giting. =) it's wonderful how you learn that even as kids who have not yet met, we were already kindred spirits.

And yes, my folks have the same "issues" now too...maintenance meds, creaks, aches, and pains...

Mortality begins to creep at their doors, and we can only hope to give them the most colorful, wonderful sunset. =)

giting said...

Kindred spirits indeed. Or we've probably met then. :-)

Colorful and wonderful, nice way to put it. See you soon!