Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Celebration of Life


It’s supposed to be my Dad’s 64th birthday today. He died a month after his 60th birthday.

And then my mind wandered to this paradoxical question… Is death more celebrated than life?

Only after his death did Michael Jackson manage to be in the limelight again. Before that, he was just a has-been who managed to sell the best-selling album of all time. Now that he is gone, he has “enjoyed” more attention while he was alive after his heyday.

On August 1, former President Aquino passed away and we saw a celebration of her life participated in by the whole nation.

And now, we see a review of Senator Edward Kennedy’s life in the news. I just came to know more of this icon only after he passed away.

While listening to the eulogies for the former president, I asked a friend why there can’t be the same outpouring of celebration and affirmation while people are still breathing and can hear all the good you have to say about them. Doing this may seem unnatural, probably morbid even.

These are public figures whom I didn’t have the opportunity to meet and yet their lives, or the end of it, made me realize that life must be celebrated.

In a less gloomy note, I admire the people who know how to affirm their loved ones while they’re still around. I myself haven’t done this a lot. I realize I should be appreciative of more people around me, whether be it by actions or words.

To borrow Plato’s words, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.” And so I decided that I'll try my best to express kindness to the people around me before they become casualties of their own battles, real or imaginary.

6 comments:

dreamwalker said...

That's a very touching and thought-provoking post. :)

giting said...

Thanks. You're seeing a Doc again today? What are you doing this weekend?

shing said...

Hey Nik...that was around the time I first "met" you, wasn't it?

I completely agree. I'd rather spend my time and money affirming those I love NOW, rather than regret not doing it and doing it out of guilt after they're gone.

*hugs* Happy birthday to your Daddy.

giting said...

I think so Shing, that's the time we first "met".

And as Henry said to Gomez, thank you!

nicole said...

I enjoyed listening to Ted Kennedy Jr.'s eulogy about his father. It was funny and tinged with affection and nostalgia. He ends and I quote, "I will try to live up to the high standard that my father set for all of us when he said “The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.”

giting said...

Thanks Nics. Twas nice catching up with you. And again, you definitely should give writing a shot.