Monday, September 7, 2009

Say Cheese

I always thought cheese-flavored ice cream is a universally-accepted concept until Jerry pointed out that they don't have it back home.

Last weekend, how special it is, was highlighted in one cozy guesthouse in Malate. A couple of friends and I finished walking around Quaipo when the conversation turned to unique local delicacy. And something that I didn't think to be unique before, spilled out of my mouth. "Cheese-flavored ice cream", I blurted out. One of them said, "You got to be kidding me."

So we got Quezo Real from the nearest 7-11 and decided to go to a wine and cheese party at the place where one of my companions was staying. Well, actually, I thought it was an open party but it turned out to be an exclusive party for the guesthouse's guests only. But thanks to friendly marshals and our "cheese", we were able to  get in.

As soon as I placed the cheese-flavored ice cream on the table, it was such a huge hit. And people from the northern and southern hemispere gathered around the table, were staring at this strange (for them anyway) flavor of ice cream. I was so amused with the varied expressions on their faces when they saw that this ice cream flavor also has chunks of cheese in it.

Growing up, cheese-flavored ice cream is just an ordinary standard flavor. I always thought this flavor is commonplace. But it turned out it isn't ordinary, outside my world. It took other people to point it out.

What's ordinary for me is extra-ordinary for some and vice versa.

4 comments:

Tin said...

NZ does not have cheese flavored ice cream too. Pero ok yung idea na mag dala ng cheese ice cream sa cheese party ah.. :)

giting said...

Actually Tin, wala yun sa plano ang mag-crash ng wine and cheese party. Gusto ko lang pakainin sana ang guest ko ng cheese ice cream.
Crashing the party was an after-thought. Hehe.
Ibili mo na si Neon ng ice cream maker.

shing said...

Hey giting, Say Cheese! :D

giting said...

I just realized Palak Paneer is cottage cheese with spinach. Say what? Haha.