Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yellow

As I watched the farewell rites for Former President Cory Aquino yesterday, I wondered whether this one day spirit of unity and nationalism can be sustained. A question that is probably burning in most of our kababayan’s minds.

Through wonderful eulogies and songs, we pay tribute to a woman who has united our nation 23 years ago and has once again united us, in her death. I was just 7 years old then and don't even know what democracy meant. And yet I knew something big was happening. All the adults were talking about it. Everybody was wearing yellow and flashing the Laban sign. Most of us now enjoy democracy but people in 1986 appreciated it more. Our generation, however, seem to take it for granted.

Yesterday, Tita Cory has once united our nation. As I hear "Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo", I couldn’t help the tears from falling. I felt a resurgence of nationalism I haven't felt since EDSA Dos. Since my hope that that chapter was the start of something better is hanging by a thread, I’d rather leave it at that, the close of a chapter.

But at the back of my mind, when we get back to work tomorrow, what changes can we bring to make this nation better? Or do we forget about this day as if it was just one day to remember a dear departed and then eventually forget?

When something like this happens, we are reminded of our sense of history and the need for social responsibility. Events like these leave an imprint on some of us. For some, the impact results in concrete actions and life-changing decisions. For most, the only memento will be a song playing in their mind. I hope I'll be among the former.

2 comments:

shing said...

We have a similar post, Nik! :) check this one out: http://childofgaea.blogspot.com/2009/08/do-not-stand-at-my-grave-and-weep.html

giting said...

Yeah, I was about to point it out to you. I read your post yesterday.