Wednesday, May 5, 2010

China Lovin'

Ever since I read Pearl S. Buck's Good Earth in college, I dreamed of going to China. I was smitten by the landscape I imagined while reading the book.


It has been my dream to see a countryside in mainland China. In my imagination, it may just look like the rice field we have here, with certain mysticism typical of a faraway land.

My love affair with China started then.

I tried learning Mandarin but it was in vain since I wasn't able to practice speaking it. Not to mention that it’s quite a difficult language to learn with its four tones and gazillions of characters.

So here I am probably ten years after I read the book, my interest on Chinese countryside was rekindled after seeing Zhang Yimou's the Road Home.

I couldn't stop my tears from falling while watching this movie about a small village girl who fell in love with a young man from the city. The young man ended up teaching in the small village for 40 years. He dedicated his life teaching the children of the village hoping to improve their lives.

There are a lot of elements in the story which struck a chord in my heart, China, the small village setting, the old schoolhouse, teaching and undying love (I wish!). And probably because I’m working in a big city with the road home rarely traversed. However, those rare times I go through that road, I feel the countryside welcoming me with open arms.
a piece of China

But I wonder when I’ll be traversing a country road in China.

4 comments:

shing said...

you know, it's my dream to run on the great wall.

they have an actual, Great Wall Marathon, but me, I just wanna run...want to feel how it is to run on something so high up...and so long and LARGE!

giting said...

We can make that China dream come true, buas, let's conquer the ramp of the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

shing said...

yup. looking forward to that "high." =)

Tin said...

least favorite country ko ang china.. rude ang mga tao na nameet namin dun. siguro kasi sanay sila sa masikip so wala silang respeto sa personal space. pati pag cross ng road, kahit pedestrian na yung right of way wala pakialam ang mga motorists.. at smog kahit saan.

pero aside from those, must see ang great wall and forbidden city sa beijing..