Thursday, May 6, 2010

Crunch Time

Only two days before the country's first automated elections and I don't think we are ready. The COMELEC has kept reassuring us everything will turn out ok. And I'm praying that it will be.


But after getting an SMS from my mom that the new memory cards haven't arrived yet. I can't help but feel doomed.

My mom always performs her duties (as almost all public school teachers do) as Chairman of in a precinct in our town of Ajuy.

Since she's technologically-challenged (she has a hard time playing solitaire in the PC), she was relegated as supporting staff for the upcoming elections.

Today, they're supposed to test the PCOS with the newly-configured memory cards, but the cards have not arrived yet.

Ajuy, despite its 87 km distance from Iloilo city, is a relatively accessible town. So if the cards haven't arrived yet in Ajuy, how about in Lagawe, Ifugao? I’m hoping the remaining two days will be enough for the final testing.

The recent hiccup must be a logistical nightmare for COMELEC but I'll be praying fervently that they'll be able to manage through this. I don’t want to think of the consequences if they would be unable to.

A successful testing was done in Makati yesterday. I'm thinking how many IT experts were there to ensure the flawless execution. And to replicate that thousands of times in all the precincts…. Maybe not all, but in most of the 76,000 precincts…

So, here I am hoping for the best on May 10. Not because I want that Subway free sandwich (for voters) on Monday, but a failure of elections is the last thing our country needs.

1 comment:

dreamwalker said...

Pastor Tan-chi's message today in church made me tear up - and have hope. All we can do now is pray and do our duty: VOTE. See you later!