Thursday, November 13, 2008

torn between pages


Have you tried looking for something and ended up with another thing which turned to be equally as nice if not a better deal?
When I was in Grade 4, I fell in love with Frances Hodgson Burnett's book Secret Garden. (I named my diary in high school Francesine and I was thrilled that my roommate’s name in senior year is Francine.)
While reading the Secret Garden, I rolled on our bamboo floor and try to imagine how that secret garden looked like. 18 years later while loitering in a bookstore just looking for nothing or anything that might catch my fancy……. I found a copy of the book with a different cover and to my even greater delight, Lois Lowry wrote the foreword. (This book is not hard to find so finding a copy is easy but having Lowry introducing the story, that’s a candy treat for me.)
So I got my copy of Secret Garden with Lowry but another book caught my fancy, Flip Reader. It’s a compilation of articles from the now defunct Flip magazine. Since I have this Nikki rule that I only buy one book one day at a time and since I already read Secret Garden, I chose Flip Reader. But I’ll definitely go back for Mary and Colin soon. Maybe tomorrow.

in a garden up north

1 comment:

shing said...

This is so Kindred Spirit! You know, I've often imagined a secret garden of my own too.

And a Colin to enjoy it with. =)