Tuesday, November 25, 2008

full circle


A few months ago, I wrote about an American couchsurfer (whom I’ve never met) who looked for Cambodian friends, Meg and I met in Baphoun Temple. I thanked the good soul, Ben Ranta, for helping me look for the kids. Now, I get to catch up with Samon and company. It turned out the kids still sell books, scarves, trinkets, and a lot of other stuff in front of the temple. As for Ben, I knew he was on his way to South Asia after covering pretty much of South East Asia for the past few months.

To my great surprise, Ben emailed me last November 13, saying he’s in Makati! My Makati! (not really mine but I’d like to consider it as that) Ben would like to meet up. It turned out on a last minute-whim; he decided to swing by the Philippines for a few days. He was on his way to India via Hong Kong when he found out that there are cheap flights from HK to Manila. Thanks to low-cost carriers, the world has really become flatter and smaller.

Here’s how we met. On November 14, Ben and I were supposed to meet at 11:30 in McDonalds’s Glorietta. The ubiquitous arches have been a very helpful landmark wherever you may be. (I remembered meeting my first CS host in a McDonald’s too.) It was 12 noon and he wasn’t in sight. Since he has no mobile phone, I couldn’t reach him, I had no choice but to wait for him.

A little after 12, I got a call from an unknown number, it was him and he couldn’t find me in McDonald’s and he said he’s in SM. Uh-oh…… there are several SM malls in the Metro. What if he’s in a different SM? I heard alarm bells as far as the Makati Fire Station. Half-expecting he was in SM Manila, I was glad to hear he was in SM Makati.
So, I told him to stay put and I’ll just go to where he is.

I finally found him under the golden arches, different set though. Then, Ben and I had Chicken Joy in Jollibee.

This story came full circle. From Manila > Siem Reap > Michigan > Siem Reap > Manila. Or simply put from Jollibee> McDo > Jollibee.

with Ben and Vangie, CS Manila member

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi...I know this will sound weird, but my husband and I are old friends of Ben's, and trying to track down his email! He sent us a postcard from India and we wanted to get in touch with him to update him on what's going on back in good old NY. Could you possibly send him a quick email to email us? I know it is weird, but we would love to get in touch with him after all his traveling! Take care, Catherine