Wednesday, July 23, 2008

a river runs through it

If London has Thames, Bangkok has Chao Phraya, Vienna has Danube and Paris has Seine, Manila also has a river that runs through it…..Pasig.

Cruising along the river is like having a colonoscopy, an invasive procedure which allows a different view of something very close to my heart. I got to know the city in a different way. When I rode the Pasig ferry last May, the experience was an eye-opener for me. Growing up, all I heard about this river is how dirty it has become. The water is not crystal clear now but thanks to the efforts of several agencies particularly the Pasig River Rehabilitation Commission, Asian Development Bank and Danish International Development Assistance, things have improved significantly since that Smokey Mountain song “Anak ng Pasig” was released. There are less floating garbage and less informal settlers. I was also pleasantly surprised by the modernity of the first ferry station I saw, the Guadalupe station.

This is an unfinished entry meant to be completed by someone else who has captured the moment better than I did and who can weave words more creatively than I ever can.

2 comments:

shing said...

hi honeybran. did you know that the working class actually use the pasig river ferry for commutes? I know of two fellow-teachers who use that ferry going to work and getting back home. How cool is that?

I hope someday, we'll be able to see that river as blue as the sky it reflects...

giting said...

Yes, that's also my dream Shing.
:-) How's the ferry on a weekday? Marami bang sumasakay?