Tuesday, July 8, 2008

pen or sword

Our own history tells of a classic battle between these two mediums of combat. One plays on the mind while the other, takes a more physical form of combat.


By choosing the pen, I have opted to use a more diplomatic means of resolving a problem. Taking on a sword means to attack every situation, ready to pounce without giving diplomacy to work its magic.


I personally am a person who’d rather settle things as amicably as possible to avoid conflict. Before, when I had fights with my siblings and friends, I would usually write to them. Although, things won’t get resolved immediately (coz email’s not yet available then), I believe my relationships did not deteriorate because I tried to reach out first using words first instead of challenging them to a fight.


By using the pen, you would have lesser chances of people getting physically hurt unless the pen will be used for stabbing. And nobody really wins in any war, not to mention that there’ll be a lot of collateral damage. In a fight against my siblings, I would be less likely to win because they all outsize me. Especially if you don’t have the resources, better disarm your enemy first by words. But not necessarily hurtful words, rather, they may be words trying to reach out to the aggrieved party. It doesn’t matter who’s at fault or not. Words, like fire, can soften even the hardest of metals (well not really but sounds nice to me...)


Sometimes, a situation calls for a combination of both mediums. Not all persons can effectively use the pen, not all persons are adept in combat skills. You may use the words first to assuage the other party. And then let the sword or maybe just the threat of using the sword do the finshing touches. (ain't no Machiavelli)


Are you Jose Rizal or Andres Bonifacio? Well, as they say, each person has his own strengths and weaknesses. For me, Jose Rizal used the pen to convey his message since he can effectively wield the power of his pen. His words may have convinced a lot of people to take on a sword to fight for our freedom. In my case, there were no Spaniards to fight with but I believe with words, you can move the hearts of your adversaries to submission. Unless of course your adversaries have hearts of steel or have no hearts at all. That’s another story.


And who’s considered our national hero? Jose Rizal, someone who preferred the pen over the sword. (Or maybe because the Americans brainwashed us so that we’ll submit to them without a fight) To each his own. But as for me, I believe that the pen is mightier than the sword. And there’s always James Bond’s pen.

1 comment:

Helen Sophia Chua Balderama said...

As much as I admire the courage of our brothers and sisters who chose to go for arm struggle (true bonifacians), I myself think Im more of a Rizalian. truly i have experienced the power of the pen (writing). it can heal, it can break, it can make and it can take you to places you have never been... what else can i say???