Friday, August 13, 2010

Guest Houses

A home away from home.

To stretch my limited budget when I go to other places, I try to look for those hostels or cheap guesthouses. Thanks to travel forums, blogs and friends, I've had my share of good guest houses. Although it has been several years since I stayed in them, I still remember how each room looked like and the pecularities in the room I've stayed in.

These places offer a much needed rest after a long tiring day of exploration. It's nice to go back to a place where u feel at home.

And I get to meet a lot of interesting people in these guesthouses. People trying to escape their real lives for a short while, others for a much longer time. And thanks to the internet, I'm still able to get in touch with some people I've met.

After chatting with the owners of these guesthouses, I'm convinced theirs is on my list of ideal jobs. Waking up to a house full of colorful, different people trying to run away from something, running to something, or just simply having fun. I'm such a sucker for their stories. Each guest has his own story to tell. And I would lend my ears just to hear their stories.

Shanedel's, Basco, Batanes (awesome view, walls only three-fourths of the floor-to-ceiling height so you can clearly hear the other room)

view from Shanedel's Inn

Two Dragons, Siem Reap (unlimited coffee, best fried rice I ever had, with a weird sign at the door and all toiletries are imported from vietnam)

Two Dragons' lobby cum dining place (http://twodragons-asia.com/)

Tony's guesthouse, Malacca (with colorful handprints and claire bruni as soundtrack)

this place is right in the center of Malacca
(http://www.backpackingmalaysia.com/hostel/tonys-guesthouse/melaka)

Aling Nora's Place, Pundaquit, Zambales (bamboo beds and roof, felt like a dorm)
Aling Nora's lobby

Village Lodge, Coron, Palawan (good food, kid's theme to the room)

in front of Village Lodge (http://www.coronvillagelodge.com/)

St George Inn and St Joseph Guesthouse, Sagada, Mt. Province (shiny floor, awesome backdrop) (boiling water in a kettle)
the new St. Joseph cafe

Hillside Inn, Batad, Banaue (one of the best views at P150 a night)
view from Hillside inn

Blue River 2, Ho Chi Minh city (friendly receptionist, french breakfast, no second floor in this french-inspired building)
this cozy place is a few minutes walk from Saigon's center

Koenji guesthouse (this rare tokyo find very close to a station in the Chuo line has got to be one of my favorites)
Not only is this a rare Tokyo gem, you can also cook here (http://kouenji.seesaa.net/)

2 comments:

dreamwalker said...

Few minutes to the city center? By motorbike, maybe! I remember it was more than a few minutes of walking under the searing heat of the sun! :P

giting said...

Few is relative i guess. :-)