Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Apat na Piso

You’re running late for work. You realized you left your wallet at your place. You can actually go home and get your wallet but you needed to submit something before 10am. So you can’t afford to miss any precious minutes. What do you do? Well, this is what I did.


I was contemplating on asking from my roommate whose office I’d pass by en route to the train station. Or from a guard in my old office? Or from a friend? But then, that would take more time.

I scavenged for loose coins in my bag which amounted to P7.00. But that won’t be enough for my train ride of P11.00. (And yes, I wasn’t able to pay P7.00 for my jeepney ride.)

From watching too much Amazing Race, I felt it was “easy” to ask for some money from strangers.

So from whom would I ask 4 pesos? I was eyeing an elderly gentleman on the jeepney. Maybe he can spare me P4.00. But I changed my mind and walked aimlessly towards the train station.

As I rummaged through my bag, I found a bag of candies. I was considering bartering my candies for P4.00. I know they’re worth more than that but who does barter these days?

I was even hoping to find some coins on the sidewalk. I was about to ask the lady selling candies at the MRT steps. But when I saw how “kawawa” she looks, I cannot bare to get her P4.00.

And I remembered the donut store where I usually get my breakfast, on my way to work. I’m sure they won’t recognize me but I’m hoping they’re willing to loan me P4.00.

And they did! But that is after a few seconds of giving me looks of disbelief after hearing me explain my predicament.

So I was able to get to the office, submit the report and attend the meeting.

Lesson for the day: Don’t put all your eggs in one wallet.

2 comments:

shing said...

This is so you, Nik! the tone of the story, I mean. ^_^ I remember being late for a meeting with the EVP one day. I was waiting for that ELUSIVE taxi. The woman in front of me got the taxi, and on impulse, and because I was already late, I asked her, "May I join you?"

I guess I looked desperate enough or harmless enough, coz she agreed. Didn't even make me pay my share for the ride. I just paid an additional 50 pesos to the taxi driver for taking me all the way to school after the lady was dropped off.

The exchange? I had to listen to the lady's marital troubles all throughout our ride. Hehehehe.

I wanna meet those doughnut people who helped you!

Anonymous said...

how about a taxi ride and borrow money from the first office mate you meet in the building? or phone some officemate to meet you elsewhere close to the office and loan you the money enough for your taxi fare? or anything related to that... except borrowing money from strangers. hehe. that's what i do eh :)

me-ann