Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Food Fix

My friend Chigofea (aka childofgaea) and I only know of two places to eat every time we meet, and the two countries of origin of these dishes don’t even share a border. Som's (Thailand) and New Bombay (India).

Since I have tons of things to do and I have a wonderful sense of prioritization, I decided to research on crossing from Thailand to India over land. From Bangkok, you can go to Laos first, then China, then through Tibet and Nepal to India.

So, I was thinking, since I can’t go to these countries anytime soon. I’ll just try their food. Chinese food is easy to find in this part of the world. But I think I may have a problem looking for Laotian food or Tibetan food in Manila. Unless I cook....this a disagreeing subject predicate.

Anyway, I heard from a couchsurfing guest that they ate Yak while in Nepal. Now, to find a Yak in this side of the world is a challenge. Or yaks, then again, maybe not.

So for now, Chigofea and I might have to stick with these yummy food from Som’s and New Bombay (and of course I love Thai Tea and Sweet Lassi). And considering the proximity of these places, somewhere along the way, the food in this piece of Earth, is probably a fusion of its neighbors' tira-tira. But then again, considering the altitude of Tibet, fission rather fusion may have occurred (whatever that means).




Palak Paneer (cottage cheese with spinach)



some lamb dish that I forgot the name

Pad Thai

Tom Yam

6 comments:

shing said...

hey giting! I've actually tried Tibetan Yak. Tastes like...errr....beef. :P

Wanna try something else next time? I'm up for ANYTHING. :)

giting said...

Hey Shing! Wow, where have you tried Yak? And hey, I'm not complaining, di pa ako nagsasawa sa Som's at New Bombay.

shing said...

hey, I'm not tired of either resto either. But just in case, we can add to our dining repertoire! :)

My mentor-boss brought me some last time he went to Tibet. Masarap cya, really. Tougher than beef. But tasty too.

dreamwalker said...

We should eat at New Bombay - I haven't tried it.

giting said...

Tara! Kelan?

Anonymous said...

you should come here during food fair, niks:)

me-ann