Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Dash

While I was waiting for a jeepney last night, I saw a girl who almost got hit by a motorcycle (which was on the wrong lane). I was reminded again how easily life can be snuffed out in a second. And on your epitaph, in between your date of birth and death, your entire Earthly life is reduced to a dash.

And how sad, that I fail to maximize that dash. Someone smiled at me while I was walking and I failed to return the smile because I wasn’t in the mood. I saw someone who seemed needing some cheering up, I let the opportunity pass because I felt I needed more pep talk at that moment. And in this life, there are no rewinds. Sigh. From now on, I’ll try to live these lines I loved.

I expect to pass through this world but once;

Any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

No comments: