Monday, January 12, 2009

My Lola

On my mother's side of the family, my Lolo's name is Nicolas. my Lola's name is Luz. The resemblance to my real name (which was randomly picked from a book of baby names) is a coincidence. My Lolo died a long time ago (I think I was just four years old then). My Lola has been living with my uncle in Sta. Barbara, Iloilo.



On December 29, 2008, my mom, siblings and I decided to visit our Lola Luz in Sta. Barbara. It will be the first time she will see her "apo sa tuhod". At first, we were hesitant to push through with the visit because of the distance we would subject 5-month old Yohan to travel. But, visit her, we did....Thank God, we did.



On January 4, 2009, my grandmother passed away. Life is short. And it pains me that I often take for granted its brevity.

Here's an old picture of me, my brother and our Lola in front of our house in Ajuy.




So little time

Try to understand that I'm

Trying to make a move just to stay in the game

I try to stay awake and remember my name


But everybody's changing

And I don't feel the same

You're gone from here

And soon you will disappear

Fading into beautiful light

Cause everybody's changing

And I don't feel right


3 comments:

dreamwalker said...

Hey, you ok? Sorry to hear about your lola...hope everyone in the family is coping well.

As for that song...it really does reflect life sometimes, no? Love it.

giting said...

Thanks. We're coping well. And yes, I love that song too.

shing said...

aww, nik...your post and that song made my eyes fill with tears...

I'm so happy to know you were able to visit your lola then.

So happy.