Friday, September 26, 2008

The other UAAP Finals

Yesterday, the town was painted Blue and Green. The Ateneo Blue Eagles bagged the UAAP Men’s Basketball Championship in Game 2 of their Best-of-Three series. The Eagles dethroned their arch-rival the De La Salle Green Archers. Dugong Bughaw dominated in the end. Kudos to the ballers from Katipunan for wrapping up the series with a sweep.

I love watching basketball, may it be NBA, PBA or UAAP. Last night, I was surprised to find out that there was another ongoing UAAP basketball finals, the Women’s division. The UP Lady Fighting Maroons are battling the FEU Lady Tamaraws for this year’s crown.

I remember those dorm days where my female dorm mates would make a basketball game appear like agawang buko. It was fun to watch but the action is really in men’s basketball. Overshadowed by their male counterparts, the lady ballers may not share the bright spotlight, their counterparts bask in but I think they deserve more media attention. Basketball is basketball. Whether the ball is dribbled by estrogen-filled fingers or testosterone-filled ones, the women’s finals should at least have a live telecast. I guess it’s really a question of viewership. (Scalping won’t be even an issue here because there’ll be probably none).

James Naismith probably designed basketball with only men in mind because women can’t jump (with apologies to white men). Still, those women athletes probably trained as hard as their male counterparts, if not twice as hard.

I hope I’ll be able to watch the other UAAP basketball finals.

No comments: