Tuesday, December 7, 2010

From Ambeth Ocampo

Recently, I have been interested in reading snippets of Philippine history as told by Ambeth Ocampo. 


He has compiled all his articles in one short book (whose title eludes me) that gave me a quick tour of the past. Lighter than Constantino's The Philippines: A Past Revisited yet this collection has kept my attention until the last pages much longer than any paperback has in recent memory. 


Mr Ocampo showed the many sides of our heroes and heroines which I have not learned in school. 


Reading the endearing and not so endearing everyday encounters of our heroes made me realize they can neither fly nor have superpowers. They were just normal regular people who have the strength and courage to step up when their country needed them. Though most may be driven by selfish ambitions, that doesn't take away the fact that some have risked their lives that we might have the freedom that we now enjoy. Most spend their lives fighting for the cause they believed in. And yet here I am, about to complain how toxic life is these days.

However, as if on cue, I chanced upon these lines.


"Sometimes we are too busy, or like to think we are too busy, to rearrange our lives and schedules for what is truly important."-Ambeth Ocampo


There can be a lot of things that occupy our time. Work, school, extra-curricular activities, church, family, friends. And sometimes we spend more time doing what's not really important and ending up regretting it in the end. Life's too short for a lot of "I should have's". 













No comments: