Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seat 28F

When I went home last January, I took the plane to Bacolod, since air fare to Iloilo was a bit steep because of the Dinagyang festival. Then I just took a ferry from Bacolod to Iloilo and I got a seat right in front of the monitor.

Fast forward holy week…April, I went to Bacolod again. And guess what? I got the same seat! The same seat number 28F! So I computed the probability of this happening. That is .002 or 0.20 %. (Oh yes, I counted the number of seats in the ferry.) Strange.

On my trip back to Iloilo, I tried to get the same seat. Lo and behold. It was a different boat this time. So my seat is not available.

Now, the chance of me getting the same seat was smaller than 0.20% since the company has several boats plying the Iloilo-Bacolod route. Since I don’t know that number, let’s not compute that very small chance.

Moral of the story, let’s just say that however small the chance of anything happening, if there is a chance, we have to cling on to that minutest of probabilities.

2 comments:

shing said...

Awwww...Nik, this post is so encouraging...although I really can't imagine that you Really, REALLY computed, hahahaha, you're like my brother. Fellow-engineers, hahaha. He computes in real life too. LOL!

graciecrazie said...

but not with munir.... no more chance....