Thursday, May 31, 2012

Chinese Fascination

Ever since I read Pearl S. Buck's Good Earth in college, I dreamed of going to China. I was smitten by the landscape I imagined while reading the book.

It has been my dream to see just that, countryside in mainland China. In my imagination, it may just look like the ricefield we have here with a certain mysticism typical of a land far from home.  Of course, I imagined there'll be differences in the type of vegetation and much colder weather.

My interest in China started then.

I tried learning Mandarin but it was for naught since I wasn't able to practice. And it's quite a difficult language to learn with its four tones and gazillion characters.

So here I am, probably ten years  after I read the book, my interest on Chinese countryside was rekindled after seeing Zhang Yimou's the Road Home.

 I couldn't stop my tears from falling while watching this movie about a small village girl who fell in love with a young man from the city.

 I have been to China thrice but these are mostly to its big cities (Shanghai, Shenzhen and Beijing) and with very short trips to the countryside. My dream someday is to be able explore more of its countryside and find the good earth that has allowed this nation of 1.2 billion to be the superpower it is now and at what costs.

 elderly folks doing Tai Chi in Jingshan Park, Beijing



P.S.

My brother is now on his way to the mainland and here I am wishing that I could go with him.

No comments: