Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Land of the Rising Sun

After watching dozens of videos, devouring news articles and looking at several pictures, eventually my interest on the devastation of the March 11 quake and tsunami will wane. I’d check out the news every now and then. But for the hundreds of thousands who lost their homes and for the victims’ families, the 9.0 magnitude Tohoku  earthquake altered them, altered the course of a nation already badly battered by the recent recession.

In a July 2010 issue of Time magazine’s titled Japan’s Tough Climb, it tells of a country grappling its way through a recession with national debt almost 200% of its GDP. The article showed the many closed shops in Sendai, the capital of Miyagi prefecture. When I saw the Sendai airport being pummel led by the raging waters, I felt that the name Sendai rang a bell. I had to look for my Time issue to confirm. And it is indeed Sendai, the city pictured to be a city in a pitiful state even before the quake.  

That Friday night, I was glued to the TV. They say that this is the most well-documented earthquake and tsunami, complete with aerial footages and tons of amateur videos of the rampaging waters swallowing huge buildings, houses, cars, fields, and people.

I have never been to Northeast of the Honshu island. They say there are a lot of retirant communities in this area. I could just imagine elderly folks fighting for their lives as nature’s fury assert its mighty power on these helpless individuals.  

This tragedy again is a reality check, it reminds us of our mortality, our vulnerability.  In the end, we are at the mercy of Him who brought us here.

P.S. Despite the darkness enveloping it now, I know and believe it is still the land of the rising sun.

No comments: