Wednesday, February 25, 2009

my stories

I have a collection of not so nice experiences just before I head for the airport and in the airport itself. Most of these experiences were a result of my tendency to take things slow and just throw any sense of urgency that I may have into the great garbage bin where they also stashed my not so common sense.


Story 1

‘Twas the last Friday before Christmas Day (when all through the house not a creature was stirring…not even a mouse…ok enough). It was December 22 2004, a dear friend of mine accompanied me while I was trying to tie some loose ends at work, before my grand Christmas vacation. We left the office at around midnight, thinking that I have all the time in the world since my flight was at 5am. Five hours would be enough to get cab, pack and take a cab again to the airport. Or so I thought.

We had a difficult time hailing a cab in front of our company’s headquarters. So we decided to go to the nearest intersection. After 30 minutes of fruitless wait for a taxi, we headed back to the headquarters (I’m beginning to like this word).


The guard told us that he’ll get a cab for us, so we just sat on chairs the nice guards offered us. Around 1:30am, wala pa rin! All the cabs have been sucked in by a great black hole called the Christmas rush. So my friend decided to call her brother to pick us up. But it turned out, her brother’s out since really it’s the last Friday before Christmas day. Everybody is out. So her Dad offered to pick us up.


While waiting for her Dad, a couple who’s probably also tying their own loose ends in the office decided to wait for cab a few meters from where we sat. After a few minutes of waiting, they got a cab. Just like that. And we were waiting for two hours! Tough luck.

Before my friend’s Dad arrived, finally (!) there was a cab for us! I got in the cab while my friend opted to wait for her Dad who was also on his way.

And I thought the story ends there, when my cab was cruising along EDSA I got a call from my friend. Their cab broke down just a few meters from our headquarters. Murphy's Law was at work this night and we were the lab rats. Well I guess it was not really our night. I managed to get in my flight just in time. But I would not forget this night of cab horrors.

I would've missed this sunrise if I missed my flight (I like the contrast of sunrise and rain side by side)

Moral of the story:
Don’t try to tie loose ends at the last minute. Some things are bound to mess up. Allow some buffer time for the unforeseen and for circumstances beyond your control.

Story 2

December 23, Saturday, 330am. Again, this is the last Saturday before Christmas Day. I was taking my own sweet time getting ready....then at 345am I waited for a cab. Thinking – I had enough time to look for one and get to the airport for my 510am flight. Again, this was the last Saturday before Christmas day so everybody was rushing home. I got to the airport at around 430am. Hmmm....I thought I can make it. But alas! All major cities in the country have 5-ish flights. The lobby was packed. There were no more carts available. But I had to have one because I got three big bags (no humungous…well bags are huge compared to me). What's causing the people jam? There were only two lines for all of PAL's domestic destinations. And I'm just talking about going in the terminal. Not the check in counters. It was major mayhem.

So I got no choice but I left one of my bags and trusted that nobody would dare steal a kid's pink barbie trolley bag (which is not mine but my sister’s friend’s daughter). I went back for it after checking where the real line is. The lobby was full of people with several lines that have no start and end.


the Barbie bag united with the kid

At 4:45am, the line wasn’t moving and they are already calling people who have 5am flights. I squeezed myself through the traffic and got through at around 500 (This is a much simplified version of how I squeezed myself through). When I got to my check in counter, I was the second to the last person to check in. As soon as I got in, the plane took off. Phew. Close call. I don’t want to think what would’ve happen to me if I missed my flight, not to mention, it the Christmas Season! Serves me right for not leaving earlier than 330.

Moral of the story:
Listen to your friend who always tells you to be at the airport two hours before the flight NOT look for a cab two hours before the flight. And oh yes, that is also printed on my ticket, hmmm…I should always read the fine print.

3 comments:

dreamwalker said...

What brought this on? And am I that friend who tells you to be at the airport 2 hours before? He he...am flying on Sat but was thinking an hour would be good enough. Watcha think?

giting said...

Oh this? I just transferred this old entry from my notebook to cyberspace....just in case I misplace the notebook. :-) Be there at least two hours before even though it's not Christmastime. Better safe than sorry. What time is your flight?

Anonymous said...

wahaha. i so hate waiting at the airport. wala man bi wifi. :(

vee1009